Monday 16 May 2011

90 minutes to go... and who should still be here next season?

The last time I posted about a game was just after we beat Chelsea. Since then we've lost to Wigan, Birmingham, Stoke, Villa, United and others. We've also had a fall off in form as alarming as Colchester United normally do (2 wins in 14 in 09/10 and not much better in 10/11). With our Champions League fate now in the hands of 2 Citys (Stoke & Man) the season has gone from extremely promising to awful.
 
Bad Luck & Bad Refereeing:
 
I feel that rather than being down to any particular failing from Arsene Wenger and his team, the poor ssecond half of the season has be down to - generally - bad luck. We've had some very poor refereeing decisions:
  • Robin van Persie red card vs. Barcelona.
  • 102nd minute penalty vs. Liverpool - it didn't take RVP 4 minutes to take his.
  • Offside and penalty decisons vs. Sunderland.
  • Penalty and foul (Chamakh's goal) decisons vs. Villa.
  • Saha's goal in the 2-1 win over Everton.
  • Nolan not getting sent of for getting Szczesney in a headlock at 4-1 vs. Newcastle.
And I'm sure there've been others. There have been occasions when some of the players haven't shown quite enough heart for my liking but it's the same for the fans - you only hear groans at the Emirites when something is going badly. There are also the occasions when the opposition 'keeper has had the game of his life, and nomatter what we tried nothing went in - van der Saar in the FA Cup defeat. There have been other games which we've dominated from start to finish, but for some reason the chances just wouldn't go in - such as versus Man City, by the third time the ball hit the post you just knew it wasn't Arsenal's day.
 
Wembley:

The Carling Cup defeat whilst disappointing also demonstrates how desperate we are as fans for a trophy. A couple of years ago and a trophy other than it in the future it'll be a Mickey Mouse cup which isn't worth winning. Yet this season we were fielding very strong sides in a competition which has been purely for blooding youth recently - a policy which got us to the final and earnt us a runners up medal against a very strong Chelsea side in 2008. I personally would like a return to this next season.
 
Defence:

In a season which has seen us hit with injuries to key players at key times, we could be doing worse with one game to go. We've had 4 keepers play (with 5 making matchday squads), and I believe that we have now discovered our long term number 1. We have also played large parts of the season with a makeshift back four, even Wenger admiting that Koscielny, Squillaci and Djourou have played more games than expected and I feel that Koscielny and Vermaelen will be a strong pairing next season. One player whose injury troubles I have been thankful for is Diaby. I feel that his is overated, and whilst occasionally very skilful, that he really isn't the right player for Arsenal. All to often the ball has been fed to him and a flowing counter attack has ground to a halt and the opposition have got men back behind the ball.

Midfield:
 
One player who has come on this season is of course Jack Wilshere, ever consistant, ever passionate and always with superb passing, movement and vision, Jack is another player who Mr Wenger can point to to prove that putting faith in youth works. He has had my vote for player of the season. Sadly I doubt that he will reach the heights of this season again next term, with a long summer ahead of him, it might be the second half of the season before he's fully ready to start again - our players do not get on with summer tournaments; look at how average - by last season's standards - Cesc Fabregs has been. Who, coincidentally, I think is almost certain to be here next season.
 
The Forwards:

Robin van Persie has been a revelation since his return from injury, just imagine what he could do if he was fit for the whole season! I think that Marouane Chamakh also deserves a mention, scoring an impressive number of goals in his first season in English football, before getting burn out. Since March, I think that he's been near back to his best, we've always looked more dangerous when he comes on, and he's always shown desire, which I like.
 
Moving Forward:
 
I think that the core of the squad is strong, however I feel that some changes are needed. I feel that Mannone will probably leave in the summer (maybe going to Hull), I also feel that Manuel Almunia has come to the end of the line at Arsenal. He has had his moments of brilliance, the first leg against Man United in the Champions League 2 seasons ago, the first leg against Barca last season and the bit of the second leg he played in Barca this year, but I will remember him for his gaffes rather than his top class stops. I think that we need to bring in an experienced third choice goalie for next season - such as Mark Schwarzer - and give James Shea a Championship loan spell to gain some experience. In defence, I am undecided about Seb Squillaci, but I am not convinced he is of the necessary standard, Miquel looks promising, but is another player who would benefit from a loan spell. Kyle Bartley could breakthrough next season and he too shows promise, however Rangers are reported to be sniffing about, and I can see us selling him and him turning out to be one of the one's who got away. If he doesn't renew his contract, I personally would look to sell Clichy, as I feel Gibbs is good enough to step up to the mark. New cover might be needed but potentially that could come from within in the form of Tom Cruise.
 
In midfield, I can see Diaby, Denilson and Rosicky leaving. I think that Denilson should get a season-long Premiership loan, to see if he could make it at Arsenal before either being sold or becoming a more important Gooner the following summer. I would be disappointed to see Tomas Rosicky go, but I feel that injuries have overshadowed his time at the Emirates and that he may have missed his chance. To be brutally honest I would't be sorry to see the back of Diaby. We will have Henri Lansbury returning from yet another fruitful loan spell, this time at Norwich, and I feel that next season he will break through. Maybe one new squad player is needed in the midfield, but I don't see the need for wholesale changes.

Up front, I would be unsurprised to see Niklas Bendtner leave after another disappointing season, and he is another player who I wouldn't mind seeing leave. He has bags of potential, and shows moments of promise - especially when playing for Denmark - but has never really lived up to his self-hype in N5. I would sell him to someone abroad though as he could come back to haunt us in the Premiership. Sadly, I also expect Carlos Vela to leave, he's a tricky forward who I rate, although his first team opportunities have been limited. A permanent move to West Brom may beckon. Andrei Arshavin is another player who could leave in the summer, and I would be disappointed if he did. He has never really lived up to his potential, but his occasional moments of brilliance remind everyone why we signed him. He's another player who I wouldn't sell domestically - in any case I would only sell him for very good money as he's an asset to any squad. I'm not sure who I would bring in. Ryo Miyaichi looks like he will be fantastic for us, and he may be able to win a work permit for next season, if not, another season on loan at Feyenoord is likely. One player who I wouldn't mind seeing in an Arsenal shirt is Tim Cahill. He would bring some steel and experience to our frontline, along with his aerial and wide capabilities, he really could be a success at Arsenal.
 
Who would you like to see come in or leave over the summer? Let me know on Twitter (see below) or in the comments.
 
Until next week (maybe!!)
 
In the mean time feel free to follow me on Twitter @Goonernl for mostly Arsenal related updates.
 

1 comment:

  1. Definitely Eboue, Rosicky, Diaby, Bendtner, Denilson and Ashavin should all be sold. Not forgetting Seb Squilacci

    ReplyDelete