Thursday 27 September 2012

Colchester Capture Gunners Duo

 
By Nick Lander
 
Arsenal youngsters Sanchez Watt an Craig Eastmond, both 21, have moved down the A12 to the Weston Homes Community Stadium, joining League 1 strugglers Colchester United on 3 month loan deals. Their moves were confirmed during a busy day for the U's who also named Joe Dunne as their new manager (following John Ward's dismissal on Monday), confirmed Mark Kinsella as assistant manager and captured Jabo Ibehre on a three month loan from MK Dons.
 
Sanchez Watt begins his seventh separate spell away from the Gunners, and will be playing to earn a permanent deal as much as he will be trying to force his way into Arsene Wenger's first team plans. The striker has been on good form for the U-21s so far this season though, with four goals in as many appearances - a record he will be hoping to extend in Essex.
 
The FA Youth Cup winner is optimistic that he will enjoy a successful spell with the U's, telling their official website that "the manager plays the same formation as I’m used to so it should be good for me.

"I want to fight for my position in the team, keep my place if I get it and do well for the club and for myself. Hopefully, we can play well, pass the ball around, score some goals and push up the table."
 
He also hopes that he will be able to perform at a level that will earn him another shot at breaking into the Arsenal first team, saying, "its all about what you do on the pitch, when you're doing well, you get your chance but after that, what happens, happens."
 
Eastmond on the other hand, has had more success in breaking into the first team at the Emirates, having played for Wenger's side on 10 occasions (compared to Watt's three appearances). He has had two loan spells in the past, featuring six times for Milwall, before injury curtailed his season, and impressing in Wycome's ultimately futile attempts to avoid relegation to League 2 last season, playing 14 times.
 
Whilst his Arsenal future is considered bleak by some parties, he probably has a better chance of making the grade with the Gunners than Watt. The midfielder, who featured heavily in Arsenal's Asia tour in pre-season, just wants to get senior appearances under his belt, telling the Colchester website, "I just want to play games so I said yes to it [the opportunity to move to Colchester on loan] and I'm looking forward to the new challenge. I like to meet new teammates, and I've done that here, but I already knew Clinton Morrison very well and I've played against Freddie Sears and a few others.
 
"I want to play as much as I can in the next few months and show the manager here, and Arsenal, what I can do. Hopefully, I'll gain some good experience from my time here."
 
Both should go straight into Joe Dunne's first squad as permanent manager to face Hartlepool at Weston Homes on Saturday.
 
The duo join Conor Henderson (Coventry City) and Chuks Aneke (Crewe Alexandra) in plying their trade on loan in the division. It is understood that both Arsenal and Crewe are keen to extend Aneke's loan spell, beyond 7th October - when it currently expires. The youngster is currently serving a three match ban, after being sent off on his full debut.
 
Keep up to date by liking the Facebook page and by following me on Twitter; @nlander94
 
The season is progressing quickly, but you can still join the N5 Blog's fantasy football league on the official Premier League website, using the league code 13667-212189
 

No comments:

Post a Comment