Monday 16 July 2012

Holtby Speculation Resurfaces


By Nick Lander

There has been renewed speculation linking Schalke midfielder Lewis Holtby with a move to North London.

The 21 year old has just a year remaining on his current deal, and has not yet agreed an extension. The German (who is half-English) has been capped twice by Germany. A creative midfielder - who has been compared to Real Madrid's Mesut Ozil - has previously stated "my aim is to come to the Premier League" and it is understood that he would prefer to sign for either Arsenal or Everton, having grown up as a Toffees supporter.

MirrorFootball have suggested that Holtby could arrive in N5 as a Theo Walcott replacement, as speculation continues over his future, but that is one thing that the German hopes to avoid, he said, "I just want to focus on playing football. I like it at Schalke. I will give my best in training and the manager will decide if I am a first team player." It is believed that Arsenal are one of a host of clubs interested, including Liverpool, Everton and Manchester United.

With only a year to run on his current deal, and still largely unproven, a sub-£10m fee is probable and would represent very good value for whoever does manage to secure his services.

Keep up to date by following me on Twitter: @Goonernl and now you can like us on Facebook here.

1 comment: